Tonino’s Pizza & Grille Harrisburg fails 3rd straight inspection, soap not available at the handwash sink
Tonino’s Pizza & Grille Harrisburg fails 3rd straight inspection, soap not available at handwash sinkread more
Retail Food Inspection Report Conducted March 13, 2019
500 HELLAM ST
Wrightsville, PA 17368
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services paid a visit to Marcello’s Pizza in Wrightsville, York County on March 13, 2019, for an annual inspection. The Department determined for the second year in a row the restaurant was not in compliance with the Pennsylvania Food Code citing Marcello’s Pizza with 10 violations. In a visit exactly one year ago, March 13, 2018, Marcello’s racked up 12 violations and was also found, “Out of compliance.”
Unsafe food temperatures resulting in some 45 pounds (ca. 20 kg) of food being thrown away that was out for sale:
Observed Time Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) food being stored inside a refrigerated bain marie unit with an ambient air temperature of 50 degrees F. Internal temperatures are as follows: Tuna Salad 45 degrees F, Cut Lettuce 46 degrees F, sliced Bologna 47 degrees F, sliced Turkey 47 degrees F, sliced Cheese 47 degrees F, sliced Ham 47 degrees F. Inspectors thermometer calibration verified in the presence of the person in charge using the ice point method. Approximately 45 lbs of food disposed with an estimated value of $55 dollars.
The restaurant scores 3.9 of 5 stars averaged across 105 Google reviews. Marcello’s has disabled reviews on their business Facebook page.
The following comments were made by the inspector in support of the violations observed in the report:
- Observed food employee with full facial hair (beard) involved in food preparation, not wearing proper hair restraints, such as beard covers.
- Food facility does not have available sanitizer test strips or test kit to determine appropriate sanitizer concentration
- The food facility does not have the original certificate for the certified food employee posted in public view.
- Food facility is using a chlorine based* sanitizer at an extremely high concentration of that exceeded 200 ppm, not approved in the PA Food Code. Corrected on the spot.
- Improper manual ware washing. Observed pots, pans and lids being washed with a plastic bucket filled with soapy water then rinsed with clear water then air dried without a sanitizing step. Corrected on the spot.
- The person in charge failed in their duties and responsibilities as evident in this non compliant inspection report.
- Equipment not maintained in good repair or proper adjustment. Observed a refrigerated bain marie unit which contained Time Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) food operating with an internal ambient air temperature of 50 degrees F. This unit was being operated with two of three refrigerator door gaskets removed which caused this refrigerated unit not to be able to maintain TCS foods at safe holding temperatures.
- Cleaning frequency, utensils and equipment. Observed an accumulation of food debris in knifes racks attached to the ends of refrigerated bain marie units.
- Cleaning frequency, utensils and equipment. Observed soiled cutting knifes being stored in knife racks attached to each end of the refrigerated bain marie. The person in charge stated knifes are cleaned at the end of each day. Corrected on the spot.
- Exhaust hood filters above the grill and deep fat fryer has an accumulation of baked on grease and dust.