By: Don Shaw email: don.shaw@pennsylvaniachronicle.com (570) 543-2961

Hazleton Fire Depart warns of importance of CO detectors after 6 residents made sick from blocked chimney

Hazleton Fire Depart warns of importance of CO detectors after 6 residents made sick from blocked chimney

Hazleton, PA

Last night, November 3, 2019, Hazleton Firefighters  responded to a Carbon Monoxide Incident arriving to find six residents feeling ill and readings of 400ppm on the 3rd floor and 260ppm in basement where the furnace is located. Officials say the cause was a blocked chimney. Gas service to building was shut down pending completion of repairs.

Officials released a statement saying:

The stronger point we make is there was no working CO detector…. and few working smoke alarms…. by the grace of god the residence where able to call 911 for help due to they felt ill…. if they went to bed…. We would not be reporting and telling you they are doing okay today…. We would be writing and reporting to you on six deaths due to Carbon Monoxide…..

PLEASE…..PLEASE….. winter season is here. Have your heating unit and chimney serviced and inspected…..

PLEASE…. PLEASE…. make sure your home, your apartment, your living space is equipped with properly working Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms…. the cost of these units is well worth the life of you and your family….