Tonino’s Pizza & Grille Harrisburg fails 3rd straight inspection, soap not available at the handwash sink
Tonino’s Pizza & Grille Harrisburg fails 3rd straight inspection, soap not available at handwash sinkread more
Retail Food Inspection Report Conducted March 20, 2019
5202 SIMPSON FERRY RD STE 108
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services visited the Tokyo Diner in Mechanicsburg’s Windsor Park Shopping Center determining the restaurant was, “Out of Compliance” with the Pennsylvania Food Code and other applicable Department of Agriculture regulations.
Among the comments made by the inspector was the discovery of a dead rodent under the sushi bar, according to the report.
This most recent unannounced annual visit comes on the heels of missing the mark last February 8, 2019, when inspectors found 11 violations. The inspector noted the presence of vermin during last year’s visit:
Observed 3 dead roach-like insects in a glue trap near the sushi area.
Observed 5 to 10 rodent-like droppings on the floor in the dry goods area near the hot water heater.
A complaint from the public resulted in the Department visiting the restaurant on March 26, 2018, last year. Also, determined out of compliance, the inspector found still more vermin activity saying:
Observed 200 to 400 rodent-like droppings throughout the facility; in the dry goods area, under the soda / ice machine, and near the grill area.
Observed on dead rodent in a glue trap under a cabinet in the server area.
The Person in Charge failed to notify the Department of an imminent health hazard and cease operations.
On April 9, 2018, in a follow-up visit, the Department, again, cited the restaurant for vermin saying:
Observed 20-30 rodent-like droppings on the floor in the front service area and dry goods area.
The inspector made the following additional comments resulting from the inspection:
- Observed a large amount of food debris around the edges of the floor in the kitchen, sushi bar and back storage room.
- Observed an accumulation of food debris under all the hibachi grills and hibachi seating areas.
- Observed an accumulation of residue on the metal racks inside the walk-in cooler.
- Observed a hole at the base of the wall near the soda machine.
- Sushi rice from yesterday was still at the sushi prep area.
- The Person in Charge does not demonstrate adequate knowledge of food safety in this food facility as evidenced by this non-compliant inspection.
- Observed approximately 5 live roach-like insects in glue traps behind the chest freezer in the kitchen.
Photo Credit: Eric Rider